Lemon cake is one of those glorious desserts that’s appropriate any time. Everyone who tries this cakes loves it, its a cake that suits everything.
I’ve made it for breakfast, served as a dessert, had a slice with my afternoon coffee or make it for when my housemates and I fancy a quick sweet treat.
It’s a recipe to cherish and keep – I hope you enjoy it x
Lemon Drizzle Loaf Cake
- 225g unsalted butter, softened
- 225g caster sugar
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 4 eggs
- 225g self-raising flour (alternatively 200g of self-raising and 25g of ground almond to add extra moisture)
- 1tbsp of milk
For the drizzle:
- Juice of 1 1/2 lemons
- 50g demerara sugar
Pre-heat the oven to 180. Grease and line a loaf tin with greaseproof paper.
1. Beat together the butter, caster sugar and the finely grated zest of 1 lemon until light and fluffy.
2. Add a pinch of salt and the eggs, one at a time, beating until well combined before adding the next.
3. Sift over the flour and fold in. Add the milk to bring the mixture to a dropping consistency then spoon into the prepared tin and even out the top. Bake for about 35-40 minutes, until a skewer comes out dry.j
4. For the drizzle mix together the lemon juice and demerara sugar, then poke holes all over the top of the warm cake and pour over the drizzle. Make sure to wait for the cake to absorb the drizzle before adding more.
5. Allow to cook in the tin before turning it out.
Now I’m off to have a piece of lemon drizzle and a Cortado! x