The ingredient that really makes this cake is the coffee. Coffee and chocolate are a match made in heaven and adding a cup of coffee to this cake just gives it that extra kick.
Not only does this chocolate cake get prizes for taste, it’s an easy peasy one bowl cake, so it can be a simple Thursday afternoon cake or an impressive birthday treat.
Chocolate Cake (adapted from Add a Pinch)
Two 9-inch (23 cm) cake tins
- 300g all-purpose flour
- 550g of granulated sugar
- 90g cup cocoa
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1½ tsp bicarbonate soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 240ml whole milk
- 120ml vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 240ml of coffee
1. Preheat the oven to 180 C (350F) and prepare your cake tins with butter or baking paper.
2. In a large bowl mix together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, bicarbonate soda and salt until combined.
3. Using an electric whisk or a stand mixer add the milk, vegetable oil, eggs and vanilla to the flour mix and mix together on a medium speed until fully incorporated. Reduce the speed and carefully add the cup of coffee to the cake mix.
4. Once the mix is nice and fluffy (around a minute in the mixer) divide it into the two prepared cake pans (don’t worry if you cake mix appears watery). Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a cake tester inserted in the centre comes out clean.
5. Remove from the oven and leave it to cool completely before covering the two layers with chocolate icing.
- 50g of quality dark chocolate
- 100g of unsalted butter, room temperature
- 200g of icing sugar
- 1tsp of vanilla extract
- 1tsp of expresso powder
- Milk to losen
1. Melt the chocolate in a bowl set over a saucepan of boiling water.
2. Once the chocolate has melted set aside to cool. In the meantime beat the butter until soft and gradually add the icing flour. Add the vanilla extract and expresso coffee and beat again.
3. Once the chocolate is no longer hot, slowly fold it into the butter mix until fully incorporated.
So darlings, whats you fail safe chocolate recipe? Are you a fool for chocolate?
P.S.: This Chocolate Cake will do 8 servings but don’t expect leftovers!